Of the over 190 million Americans who are expected to watch Super Bowl 56 on February 13, about 5% of them say enjoying the fun food is the most important part of the day for them. That may not seem like a lot, even though it adds up to about 11 million party goers!
The National Retail Federation (NRF) conducts a popular Super Bowl Spending Survey and every year since 2005, we have seen how Americans plan to celebrate one of the year’s biggest sporting events. The report tracks average annual spending on food, décor, team apparel and more, as well as party going preferences. For instance, in 2016:
● About 43 million fans threw a Super Bowl party
● Another 70 million attended one instead
● About 80% of partygoers and viewers bought food for the event
Super Bowl Sunday – Unique American “Holiday”
Whether your team makes it to the championship and even if you’re not a fan at all, Super Bowl Sunday is a huge celebratory event many Americans. In fact, the annual championship game of the National Football League (NFL), pitting the champion of the National Football Conference (NFC) and the American Football Conference (AFC) against one another, is one of the biggest single day sports events in the world. If you’re a fan, you know the importance of statistics, so here’s a rundown:
How Much Food Will Be Consumed?
● 1 billion chicken wings
● 5 million gallons of beer
● 5 million pounds of avocados
● 28 million pounds of potato chips
● 8 million pounds of popcorn
Unique Food & Drink Stats
● 222,792 football fields of farmland are needed to grow all that corn, potatoes and avocados
● 493 Olympic-sized swimming pools of beer are needed for all that drinking
Super Bowl 56 (LVI is the Roman numerals) will be held in Los Angeles, California at Sofi Stadium on February 13. Since the average ticket price is over $5,500 – how about some stats on Super Bowl Parties?
● Super Bowl plans are made an average of 41 days in advance
● Average number of people attending each party is 17
● 10 million man-hours are spent preparing food for Super Bowl parties
One more fun factoid, based on history: It’s estimated that 7 million employees will not show up to work on the Monday after Super Bowl Sunday.
Create Personalized Custom Bottle Openers at PlaqueMaker
Perfect for your Super Bowl party! Each bottle opener is made from stainless steel and is 7-inches by 1.5-inches in size. Laser engrave message of your choice and include art or logo.