Celebrate a move to a new home with custom housewarming gifts created just for the new owners at PlaqueMaker.
The idea of celebrating a new home with a housewarming party starts as early as the 1570’s in France, they say. The word housewarming literally means, “the warming of a new home,” which probably involves family, friends and neighbors bringing firewood to build a fire that will also scare off evil spirits believed to occupy an empty house in those days.
Rooted in the European cultures of the old country including Jewish, German, Russian and Italian as well as French, the tradition of gift-giving at a housewarming also carries over to modern times, and each type of gift has a special meaning. For instance, since the kitchen in any home is considered the heart of the house:
● The gift of bread means, “May those in your home never go hungry;”
● The gift of salt means, “May there always be flavor and spice in your lives.”
● The gift of honey or sugar means, “May you always enjoy the sweetness of life;”
● The gift of olive oil means, “May you be blessed with health and well-being;”
● The gift of wine (or juice) means, “May you never go thirsty and always have joy, hope and prosperity.”
● The gift of wood means, “May your home have stability, harmony and peace;”
● The gift of plants means, “May your home always have life;”
● The gift of candles, especially homemade, means, “May you have light through the darkest times;”
● The gift of coins means, “May you dwell in good fortune.”
Create Personalized Housewarming Gifts at PlaqueMaker
Click on each item to visit the specific product page at PlaqueMaker.com– instantly!